Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Countdown Timer and Webtracker

Countdown Timer and Webtracker

I'm attempting to have participants browse a website for a duration of ten minutes and track each part of the website they go to. After their time on the website they will be taking a short quiz on what they saw.
    So participants have an idea of when the quiz is coming and how much more time they have to study, I wanted to have some sort of timer visible for the duration of the ten minutes. Do you have any possible suggestions for how to do so?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Using the experiment duration parameter (e.g. d-300) with your experiment will allow for a countdown timer to activate while a questionnaire is in progress.

To record where the user navigates on a website, you will most likely want to use a questionnaire and the Web Tracker item type. It may also be helpful to set the questionnaire's duration parameter (e.g. d300) to the same length of the experiment's.

I hope this helps!

Thanks! That worked. However, I'm still having an issue with webtracker. When I go to the file where all the data is stored for the webtracker (e.g. the url's and time stamps) there is no listing of the last URL the participant visited. Is this because I am using a duration parameter or is it something else?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

I expect so. The webtracker writes data to its external file *after* a URL is left or when the item ends normally so that it can record the time-in and time-out. If the item were to be cut off prematurely by a duration command, I could see how the data might not appear for that last page. You could calculate the time spent on the last URL by subtracting the total time on other URLS from the total duration (e.g., 300 seconds in the example above), but I can't think off hand how you would know the URL if there were multiple potential locations.

Thank you for the quick response.
    In case anyone has a similar problem, I decided to place a unique dummy webpage that redirects immediately to the page the participant was trying to go to. So if a participant clicks on a link they go to one webpage for less than a second which then redirects to the webpage they were trying to go to. This way I know which webpage they were on last and can still use the timer.
    Thanks again for the help!

LOL. Clever