Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Threshold detection

Threshold detection

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have ever used direct RT to preform a threshold detection task in a priming study? Specifically I mean using direct RT to determine at what speed a prime should be displayed so that it is not conciously perceived by the participant. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Hm. I'm not sure if a threshold detection experiment has ever been conducted; however I would be glad to provide as much information as I can on setting up an experiment that utilizes subliminal stimuli.

First, I'd note that most monitors use a refresh rate of approximately 60 Hz (or rather - frames per second). This means that a new image is refreshed onto the monitor every 16.67 milliseconds. Many priming studies have been performed with this refresh rate.

If the experiment demands that a smaller interval of time is required between the refresh of each frame, many will use a CRT monitor. CRT monitors can often push beyond the refresh rate of 60 Hz; many can extend up to 75 Hz.

There are also a few LCD monitors on the market that allow for a true 120 Hz refresh rate. When using such a monitor, the user would be displayed with a new frame every 8.33 ms.

I would be glad to continue and assist with any questions you may have before you begin designing your experiment. Is there anything else you're curious about?