Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Modifying a custom item

Modifying a custom item

I am using a custom item (the slider) from the sample that was provided with the program. However, I am having trouble modifying it: making the item smaller, and placing it elsewhere on the screen (right now it's in the center). I tried changing the parameters but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. Are there ways to modify the item on medialab, or would I have to change the custom item itself? Thanks in advance!

I'd be happy to take a look at it Crystal--can you zip and attach what you have so far?

I have attached the working file with the sample custom slider item that came with Media Lab (and the modifications I put in the parameter section of the questionnaire file to try to position it elsewhere on the screen that has not worked).

Would it also be possible to have an embedded video playing in the background as well? When reading the manual it says it cannot have background videos with executable custom files, but I was wondering if I could get around that.

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Flash also possible ?

@crystallinex - few days back i was looking for a similar solution that you are asking, but the file i wanted to add is a flash file.

@jarvis24 - Please also let me know if its possible would be appreciative.
    Thanks.
    Robert

Ah, this method for creating custom items (i.e., for the files you have attached) was phased out after v2004. For the most current method which is MUCH more flexible, see the current user's guide regarding the creation of custom items, and you might also want to check out:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=1315

Check out the attachment that is located there called slider_revised.zip. It created using the newer method to create custom items in MediaLab. It's done with javascript so it can be modified pretty easily to do whatever you want. You could simply add an embedded image, video, or flash file (etc.) to the custom item's main html page.

Note, if you still have v2004, there isn't really a convenient way to get around this without modifying the exe file for the slider.

Thanks for letting me know and sending me the link! However, I am still using v2004. Does this mean that I won't be able to modify the exe file to include a video in the current version (this is what the guide tells me).

I realized that there was a computer in our lab that has the latest version of MediaLab (2008) and the sliders work fine. I was wondering though, how I would go about inserting an embedded video in the page, as well as moving the slider to the bottom of the screen by modifying the main html page?