Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Video and Record data simultaneously

Video and Record data simultaneously

I have a question about MediaLab, and I am hoping someone can help me out.

Is it possible to have participants watch a video AND record data simultaneously? I want participants to be able to watch a video and click a button each time they think the actor in the video completed an action. In order to analyze this data, I would need to know how many times they clicked a button. And I would need to know when during the video they clicked the button. (That is, did most participants click the button at the same points in the video?)

If MediaLab can’t do this, can DirectRT do it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 05-26-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Hello -

Both MediaLab and DirectRT should be able to record data from a stimulant in the manner that you've thought about constructing and using.

I'm not certain - but I believe MediaLab would require quite a bit more tinkering with before you could get a system that could both record data and simultaneously play a video file. You would most likely want to rely on an external HTML page that could both play the video file and use some scripting to record actions that the user initiated while the video played. No other immediate solutions have popped into my mind; however there may be alternative methods available. A quick search of the forums may help provide more methods that others have used to conduct similar operations.

DirectRT may be easier to work with for this experiment.

If you were to take advantage of DirectRT's ability to play video files and measure continuous RT's, you could both display the video file and measure when any responses were sent from the user.

In DirectRT 2008 (and previous models) you could only take advantage of the continuous Joystick functionality; however we now have continuous Joystick, Keyboard, and Mouse RT options available in our 2010 model of the software.

I'm sure there may be more ways to complete this task; however the methods noted above are the two solutions that I can currently see as being the most optimal.

Let me know if you would like any further help - I would be glad to work with you in getting this setup.

More help needed

I'm going to play around with DirectRT (v. 2008) to see if I can get it to work. (I am trying to play a video and record multiple keystrokes at the same time.)

I do not understand what you mean by the "continuous joystick functionality." Is this another piece of hardware? (I have access to a standard keyboard, DirectIN keyboard, and a DirectIN button box.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

In case it helps, here is a link to one more way of approaching this (that can be done in MediaLab):

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=848