Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Refresh Rate Problem?

Refresh Rate Problem?

Direct RT has the capability to show pictures at a VERY fast rate (so fast that the person watching doesn't even know they saw the picture). I use this for subliminal priming. I think that the laptop refresh rate isn't fast enough or something, b/c even when I tell Direct RT to show pictures at 15 milliseconds (when we shouldn't be able to see the picture flash), it actually shows it for a second.

What is the refresh rate requirement for showing pictures at under 50 milliseconds

Visual stimuli displayed at 15-17ms often can be seen as a brief flash--and can even (sometimes) be recognizable, especially if you are familiar with the stimuli. Masking can help, but faster display times can certainly help. LCD screens have traditionally been limited to ~60Hz, which works out to an approximate 16.7ms display minimum (i.e., 1000/60=16.7). When you say "a second" that would be very odd, but I'm not sure if you are being literal or figurative. In any case, this post might be helpful:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=55

Also a search on "subliminal" may turn up other additional threads that could help. Finally, it may be useful to note that some LCD screens are now capable of much faster display times.