Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Collect RT and keep stimulus on screen for set time

Collect RT and keep stimulus on screen for set time

Hi there,

I have an experiment in which I present a stimulus to which the participant responds, but I want to be able to collect the RT and NOT advance to the next stimulus until the first stimulus has been shown for 4000ms. That is, I need to keep the original stimulus on the screen for 4000 ms before presenting the next stimulus, even if the participant responds in, say, 250ms. I have set the max value to 4000! in the style file and have entered "rt:57, full" in the time column of the first stimulus but, as soon as the spacebar is pressed the next stimulus shows up. I do not want this to happen!

In addition, I want the second stimulus to stay up for a very brief peiod of time (14 ms) and have used the same approach as with the first, with no luck. The same is true for the third stimulus, which I want to stay up for 1000 ms. I have used the <1>, <2>, and <3> commands in the stim columns to use different styles which have different max values.

Please take a look at my sample csv file to let me know what I've done wrong. I am in kind of a rush and a quick response would be very gratefully received.

Thanks, as always.
    Attached Files Attached Files

First off, I think there may be an annoying syntax issue at hand--try removing the space between the comma and "full" and see if that helps (e.g., "rt:57,full" rather than "rt:57, full")

As far as applying different min-max values within the same trial, I don't if it will allow you to do that. If it does, that would be great, but my recollection is that it will use the first min-max value encountered for the trial. Please inform me if I am incorrect--and also if removing the space (above) does not help.