Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Varying distance between scale ends

Varying distance between scale ends

[edited from support email]
    We are attempting to set up a study where we vary both the horizontal and vertical distance between numbers (prices) (e.g., $2--$8 vs. $2-----$8), and ask subjects to respond to which of the numbers is largest/smallest. Is there a way to do that directly in terms of the input file, or do we need to create a separate bitmap "image" for each number/distance combinations?

If the former, I can see how to enter a number (e.g., 2) in the Stim column, and to use the Loc column to tell DirectRT where to place that stimulus. But if I have TWO numbers (e.g., 2--8), and I want one of those numbers (e.g., 2) positioned relative to the left border, and the other (e.g., 8) positioned relative to the right border, how do I do that? Are the two numbers then considered DIFFERENT stimuli (shown on the same screen), or separate stimuli? Do I need two Stim/Loc columns, one for each number?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, the numbers and any line between them would be different stimuli. You can use percentages when specifying screen location so this should be pretty easy. Take a look at the section on compound screens in the user's guide.

In the example you gave, you could try:

Code:
    ~2     .4,.5,0     0     ~8     .6,.5,0     0
    vs.
    Code:
    ~2     .3,.5,0     0     ~8     .7,.5,0     0
    Hope that helps,
    Blair
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-05-2006 at 02:19 PM.