Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Response Coding Shows Up...

Response Coding Shows Up...

One one particular computer in our lab, when participants complete our experiment the response codings show up--i.e., I have pre-coded my responses numerically using the brackets: not at all {1} ... very much {5} and the number in the brackets is showing up on the screen to participants. Additionally, response choices are showing up in weird locations on the screen (e.g., the far upper lefthand corner), and sometimes only a single response option is displaying on the screen. The resolution and all other settings are set up on this computer exactly the same as on all of our other PCs, but this particular PC seems to be giving us trouble. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

If the identical experiment is working on other machines, the first thing I would check is the version of MediaLab running on the problem computer. i.e., see if it matches the versions running on the other machines.

-Blair

All of the PCs are running the same version.

Which version is it that they are all running--i.e., 200x.x.x?

The machine is running version 2002 that is available for download on the Empirisoft site for "old version" downloads (we downloaded the 2002 version to keep it consistent with the other PCs in our lab). I had trouble with this machine a few weeks ago and had to re-download MediaLab (erasing all residual files, etc.). I have also noticed that, not only is the response formatting off and the response coding showing up {1}, {2}, etc., but also it is not reading quickstyle (.mlq) files, nor does it carry out duration parameters (e.g., d-10 or d10) on instruction screens. Thanks again for your help!

I think many of these features were added for the 2004 version. Can you right click on the file c:\medialab\medialab.exe and then click properties and then version, and then let me know exactly what version you have on this machine and then on the others? it should be in the form 200x.x.x.

That must be the problem. I was under the impression that all of our machines were running the same 2002 version as that's what the splash screen says at start up, but when I click on the .exe file, that actually says 2004.1.61. The "problem" PCs are running version 2002.5.6, so that must be the problem. Thanks for the help, and we will be upgrading these "problem" PCs soon!

If you double click on medialab.exe (not the shortcut but the actual file), it will bring up a v2002 splash screen, even though the version is 2004? That's really weird--can you confirm that?

No, my mistake--I misread the vertical numbers at the left of the splash screen. The 2004 versions do, indeed, read "2004." Apologies for the confusion--my mistake! And thank you again for your assistance--much appreciated!

Ahhh.. ok, thanks for the update