Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Utilizing response time with music wave files

Utilizing response time with music wave files

Hello,
    I just wanted to verify that this software will work with the task I'm doing with my thesis. The thesis involves musical chords.

I will be playing wave files to participants. The files will contain two sets of chords. The participant will be required to answer whether the chords are in tune or out of tune. I need an automated and accurate response time for this task. The chords need to be played and the time it takes the participant to repond needs to be automatically begun at the instant the chords have been completed. Once a reponse has been deliverd, by whatever method, the time needs to be recorded.

Also, how easy is it to use this software? How easy will it be to program the wave files into this system? Other programs that I have that are 5 years old are very user unfreindly.

Doing this a task like this should be pretty straight forward if you already have the wav files, or can get them off the web (I've seen sites that make chords available in the .wav format). Taking accurate response times using DirectRT is no problem although you would normally take the RT from the onset of the sound files rather than the end. You can start measuring from the end but that would require you to find out exactly how long your music (chord) files are in milliseconds. A number of sound applications can tell you that (e.g., the freeware program Audacity). But all that said, yes, DirectRT should work well for you and it comes with many samples that you can use as a starting point. We'll also be happy to help you get rolling if you run into any trouble or difficulties.