Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: disable status bar

random assignment, disable status bar, secret keys

Hi there,

I'd like to make the status bar at the bottom of the ML opening screen invisible. Reason being, I'm using an autostart.txt file to ensure that my experimenters are blind to condition. However, when the status bar is visible, the condition is revealed. I found the instructions (pasted at end of this post) in the help file. However, when I go to [windows (XP) Tools menu > folder options > view (or anything else around there)] for any folder, and look for a way to turn off status bars, I can find nothing. Can someone please help? Its really important that I be able to hide which condition someone is in. Thank you so much for any help anyone can offer.

Next day: I"m now assuming that the status bar cannot be disabled. So I'm in search of another way to randomly assign to 1 of 3 conditions. My plan: Make an experiment, with the components of each condition grouped by a unique number in the Randomize between Groups field. But I don't want the participant to do all 3 versions, so I need to be able to exit the exp after completeing the single condition. But for some reason the secret keys are not working, and they seem to be the only way to exit an exp while saving data.

Does anyone know what might be going on iwth my secret keys, or perhaps another approach to randomly assign to a condition?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

from helpfile:
    StatusBar

The StatusBar is displayed at the bottom of the main MediaLab window. Allows you to view some convenient information about the experimental session. The first cell in the status bar displays information about current activities and when nothing else is going on, it displays the name of the last experiment run during the current session. The next cell displays the last Subject ID and Condition run during the current session. The next two cells display the current date and time. Can be hidden with option on the Tools menu.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-07-2010 at 04:17 AM.

Are you looking to hide the condition before or after the session starts? Have you considered placing a password screen at the start and/or end of your session so the subject never sees the main screen at all?
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-07-2010 at 04:17 AM.

Hi Jarvis,

I've emailed with Trevor, and he offered me a few solutions, one which has worked well. Sounds like what you suggest: using a .bat file to launch things. So my problem has been solved, thanks!

d

Great to hear, thanks for the update!