Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Skip To Problem

Skip To Problem

I am having issues with skipping in a questionnaire. This is what I am trying to do:
    Question 1: scale response; yes or no; if no skip to question 4
    Question 2: multiple response; all are specific except the last which is "other"; if they answer any number of responses that are not other I want them to go to question 3, if they answer any number of questions or even just 1 but it includes "other" I want them to skip to a fill-in-the-blank question that asks them to describe other, but then they need to continue on to question 3
    Question 3: multiple response; all go to question 4
    Question 4: scale response; yes or no; if no skip to instruction screen that says click continue to go on
    Question 5: multiple response; all are specific except the last which is "other"; if they answer any number of responses that are not other I want them to go to question 6, if they answer any number of questions or even just 1 but it includes "other" I want them to skip to a fill-in-the-blank question that asks them to describe other, but then they need to continue on to question 6
    Question 6: multiple response; all go to instruction screen that says click continue to go on

So everything is fine when I include the "describe other" fill in the blank directly after questions 2 and 5 and have all of the other options skip to 3 or 6, except that if the participant answers any more than 1 "non-other" question it will not skip, it will go to the "describe other" question, which I don't want it to do. I could also solve this problem if there is a way to combine a multiple response and fill-in-the-blank where next to other there is a fill in the blank and they can fill it in. Is there a way to fix the skipping or to combine the types of questions?

Thank you so much! =)

Do you know about the specify option?

Check this out from the user's guide and see if it helps:

You can also now include <specify> in the text label of any response option. This will not be displayed to the subject but will cause MediaLab to prompt subjects to enter a text response. This is handy in cases where you want to provide an alternative such as "other" e.g. If you wanted the seventh option to be "other" and you wanted subjects to specify what "other" means, then enter other <specify> for the text label. The actual text response will be written to the data file instead of whether or not the item was selected. If you choose to use this feature, you should select the Write As Text option for the variable since a numeric variable in SPSS will not be able to store a text response.
    From http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/help/queitemtype.htm