Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Internal error

Error: "An Internal Error occurred"

Setup: DirectRT 2004, Windows XP, Dell Optiplex

When I'm trying to run DirectRT, I recive this error message: "An Internal Error occurred on code line 0. this has caused this session to terminate".

Does anyone know what it means? how can I solve it?

(The computer is working on windows XP, and the file is running well on other computers).
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 11-23-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Does this link help out at all: http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=705 ?

What version of DirectRT are you currently running? Make sure that your drivers are up to date, the latest version of DirectX is installed, and your graphics device is rendering properly. You can check this by going to the dxdiag panel within the 'Run' menu.

I would try making sure that DirectX is installed before moving to the other suggestions. Let me know!
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 11-23-2009 at 04:19 PM.

we still have this problem..

We've been checking everything you wrote.
    DirectX 2009 is installed and the drivers are up to date.

however, when we're trying to open the dxdiag panel within the 'Run' menu, we recive error message: "problem getting input file, result code= 0*80004005..".

and also, when we're looking at the input section, it says:
    "No input devices detected".

Do you have any idea what can we do to solve it?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 11-23-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Would it be possible to send over a log file that dxdiag generates? In order to do so, you would need to at least have the dxdiag window open.

Does the following link assist in this situation?:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817858
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 11-23-2009 at 04:19 PM.

error's log file

Hi again.

I'm sending you the log file, as you asked (as attachment).

the link you sent couldn't be helpful, because it refers to computers which don't have the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. our computers do have that pack (version3).

this is very urgent for us, thank you for your help.

Shirly
    Attached Files Attached Files

Does this error occur on machines other than the Dell Optiplex 760's? Have you tried running the software on machines that are not Dell Optiplex models?

You may also want to try seeing if uninstalling the software, and then reinstalling with a trial of our 2008 version manages to fix the issue. The following link will begin the download:
    http://empirisoft.com/download/drt2008/drt2008.1.13.exe

Is it feasible to try reformatting one of the machines in your lab to see if the software will then work properly?
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 11-23-2009 at 04:20 PM.

edited from support email

Thanks for your reply.
    We tried re-installing all the available versions of DirectRT and none of them worked; hoverer, we found a possible suspect - we recently installed new display cards, in order to set the screen's refresh rate to exactly 100 MHz. When we uninstalled the new card's driver, DirectRT worked again.

We really need to be able to set that refresh rate and need an urgent solution. In case it matters, the cards are Shafir's HD 4350 256MB, and the processor of the cards is ATI's.

What monitors are you using with this refresh rate? Do you know if other users have faced similar problems with this card? It's quite peculiar that uninstalling the card's drivers allows for DirectRT to work.

Is it possible to simply set the refresh rate without installing the drivers? I'll continue looking for a solution - let me know what you find.

edited from support email

We use CRT monitors (do you need to know the exact type?), and we faced the same problem in two labs this week - in one lab 3 out of 6 computers stopped running Direct RT, and in the other lab only one computer did, right after we changed it's display card. Changing back the display card didn't help, but uninstalling the card driver did. The card doesn't work without the driver, and the previous display card didn't enable to set the refresh rate to 100 - that's why we got the new cards.

Any advice?

Have you tried checking to see if you can replicate this?

For example, if you put the old card back and also remove the driver from one of the *other* non-working machines, are you able to prevent the shutdown there as well? I'm not suggesting this as a solution (as you need the 100 refresh) but it would be great to know if this driver is a necessary condition for the crash. That would speed up our troubleshooting tremendously. Also, Shirly wrote a while back (see attached) but the message went to our spam account (can't see why). She noted that a system restore fixed one of the machines:

"another computer that used to run direct RT began showing the same error, but recovered when we used window's "system restore" function for the last date directRT worked on thet computer (29/10/2009)."

So I have to ask now--is that machine still working? If so, does it have the new video card and driver? Or is this the one that was reverted to the old card? If it is the NEW card and driver, I would love to see the dxdiag.txt file from that machine to compare it with a dxdiag.txt file from an identical machine that is continuing to crash. Finding a difference in those two files could be very helpful. If it is using the OLD video card, then I think that points back to a hardware issue.

[edited from support email]

After great efforts, which included, among other operations, consultation with Dell's technical support, formatting the computer and other reconfigurations - it finally worked.
    Thanks again for your help!!
    Reformatting the machine seems to have fixed the problem - DirectX may have been causing the error.
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 11-23-2009 at 05:07 PM.