Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: experiment suddenly ends

experiment suddenly ends

All I want is to have a black screen alternate with a white screen until the participant presses the spacebar. I have 3 lines, one with the black screen, one with the white, and the third line is a blank screen. I have skipping functions so that the two trials repeat until the spacebar is pressed. When I run it, I see trial 1, trial 2, then a flash of something, then the experiment closes. What's going on?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hm - unfortunately you can't quite use the skip or jump functions to repeatedly go back and fourth through trials like that. To better specify, you can't use the skip function or the jump function to go backwards. You can use the jump function to temporarily go forward, then return where you were at; however it doesn't have the ability to go to a previous trial. This limitation could be avoided by simply copying and pasting the two trials over and over; however this solution isn't too ideal.

What is it that you're trying to achieve? Perhaps I can suggest a solution to the obstacle at hand. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can help in any way.

I have settled on the copying and pasting solution for now. What I need is for the screen to flash black and white every 500 ms, with a message for the participant to "click continue to end session" (I want them to think there's some kind of programming error). The screen will go black. Then, 30 seconds later, I want the cycle to start again. If they don't click continue, I want it to keep flashing for about 10 minutes. They'll be working on a paper & pencil task next to the computer.

I've got it working, but I'll have to copy and paste a lot of lines to make the flashing last 10 minutes. It'll work fine if that's what I have to do.