Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Using 'incorrect.txt' and requiring a response without 'incorrect' text.

Using 'incorrect.txt' and requiring a response without 'incorrect' text.

[edited from support email]

We are trying to create a Stroop Task and want participants to press the correct key before proceeding to the next trial. Following the manual, we created an incorrect.txt file and put it in the session folder. The program ran smoothly.

We would like to know if it's possible for the user to respond with the correct response, but without the 'X' that appears. We tried to leave the forth value in the incorrect.txt blank but it did not work. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

In this situation, try using a separate style for the text displayed within the file 'incorrect.txt'. The separate style used should blend in with the background color. For example, if your experiment uses a black background, try having the text appear in the same color. With this solution, also use the following character: ( . ) - as it is the smallest.

The solution doesn't completely eliminate the text from appearing, rather it makes it so that the text that does appear is completely invisible to the human eye. Make sense?

You can find more information on style files here: http://www.empirisoft.com/directrt/help/_helpcontents.htm?directrt_about_styles_and_the_st yle_editor.htm
    It is recommended that you have a separate style file in your experiment folder, rather than simply using the default style file that DirectRT accesses.