Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Video in background over several responses?

Video in background over several responses?

I want to use MediaLab to have subjects view a video of a street scene and click buttons on screen or press keys when they see certain events (stop light, child in street) in the video. I can't get this to work - I thought I could put the video as a background video to the que file within the exp file, but the video doesn't play when the que file starts. If I put it as a background to a scale response, it starts over with each new question. Is there a way to have the video play in the background continuously and have subjects respond to several events in it? I'd prefer this be done entirely in MediaLab even thought the timing is not as good as DirectRT.
    Last edited by doug; 10-18-2009 at 06:06 AM.

As far as I know, I don't believe MediaLab would be able to complete this task unless the video was launched from a separate .EXE that had the ability to place itself in the proper location, auto-start, and stay on top of the other windows.

Hm. Is it perhaps possible to split the video up into sections, and then ask questions about those sections in-between each set of videos? Although this solution isn't quite as ideal, it may be more feasible and easier to accomplish. Let me know!

Thanks for your reply and your ideas. Since I posted the question, I found a work-around that we are using. Instead of using a scale response, we use a multiple response to gather subject responses. They can then click the "Continue" button and the background video will keep playing. Not ideal, but it works for our purposes.

Hm! That's a good solution - as you noted, not quite ideal, but if it works - it works. Very nice. Thank you for responding back so quickly.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can help in any way.