Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Putting trials with different correct response on the same line

Putting trials with different correct response on the same line

I am attempting to write a file where I have multiple responses per trial. I've read up on this in the manual, however I have run into some trouble. Everything works fine when the two trials on the same line have the same correct and incorrect responses, however, when the two trials are suppose to have different correct responses, the program doesn't register incorrect responses. For example, a line works fine if both time columns have the rt:18,23 listed as the correct response. However in a line where the the first time has rt:18,23 for the correct response, and the second time has rt:23,18 for the correct response, for both times the program counts either both keys 23 and 18 as correct responses. Is there some way to get trials that require different keys for correct responses on the same trial line?

The following thread may provide more clarity on the subject:
    http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/showthread.php?t=1276

You can still gather the data needed; however the column that reports this data will still say 'TRUE' or 'FALSE' depending on the first response taken for that trial.
    In order to view the data as you need it, open up the log file for the data, and check the individual response on that row.

[edited from support email]

Even in the log file it doesn't register incorrect responses for trial 1. I've run the test file a couple times through, making sure to give incorrect response for all four responses, and on the log file, only 2.01 and 2.02 are listed as incorrect. In addition, I have the program set up so that in the actual experiment, when an incorrect responses is given, directRT displays a red 'X' and won't continue on until the participant gives the correct answer. This works fine for trial line 2, but doesn't show up when incorrect responses are given for the trial line 1 responses, and the program advances on to the next trial even when the incorrect response is given, instead of waiting for the correct response. Is there a way to fix this?

After a bit more investigation it would seem as though this may indeed be the result of a small bug.
    If you have any variance from the first 'Correct' setup, DirectRT doesn't seem to want to cooperate with the next RT's that require a correct and incorrect identity.

The solution to this seems to be to either use a different trial for the screen being presented, or have the same incorrect / correct keys as the screen before it. (Ie. both have 18,23 - rather than one having 23,18 and the other having 18,23)

It is quite unfortunate that this bug exists - thank you for bringing it to our attention.