Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Row 17 requests style code 16, which does not exist in the style file

Row 17 requests style code 16, which does not exist in the style file

[edited from support email]
    I am starting to use DirectRT, and have run into a snag. When I try to run an input file, the error message tells me "Row 17 requests style code 16, which does not exist in the style file (.drt) for this session," even though the style code for that row is 1, not 16. I'm not sure why it's giving me this error message.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-11-2006 at 07:30 PM.

This is usually caused by some syntax issue on the previous line that causes some disruption in the reading of the input file. In this case, it seems you have an extra bit of type after the row terminator (*) on the previous line.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-24-2005 at 02:23 PM.

[edited from support email]
    The Direct RT program keeps telling me that I have a missing value in row 25 yet it is identical to all other rows. I was wondering if you could look at it and tell me what you think the problem is.

Same deal.. looks like there is some some extra text in column V which is after the row terminator (*)--I expect it's impacting the reading of the input. Try clearing that text and then running it and see if that resolves it.

[related response to a edited support email]

... When I run it, I get the message to the effect that the row 3 has an error in LOC (location) column. But when I review the file, I don't see anything that is extraordinary in the row 3.
    In row 2, you've got double quotes around your text stimulus. Try removing the double quotes and replacing them with a single ~ characater at the start of the string, i.e., instead of

"We're interested..."

try

~We're interested...

Double quotes, commas, and to a lesser extent, single quotes can sometime interact with other input file attributes to cause a problem when DirectRT tries to read the file. Additionally, the lack of a ~ in this case would have DirectRT looking for an image file called "We're interested in how well you can learn these pictures..."!

-Blair

row 2 requests style code 0, which does not exist in the style file

Hi,

I'm currently trying to rerun an experiment we have ran before. But now, even without changing anything in the file we get the error that this row has a style code that does not exist. I have checked the row above, nothing wrong or strange with that one (it's the top row, indicating stim, loc etc.).
    A detail I might have to ad, is that we've changed from Windows2000 to XP recently and reinstalled Direct RT. Could this have any effect?
    I hope someone can help me out, because the clock is ticking,

Gr, Yvette (netherlands)

Yvette,

See the link below. I think it applies in your situation because of you Dutch regional settings. If you open your input file in a text editor, you can see why. i.e., compare with an unaltered csv file from the samples folder.

See: www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=148

style problem

When I try to run my excel file in Direct RT, the program tells me that Row 2 requests style code 0, which does not exist in the style file (.drt) for this session. But it does not request 0, but 1. Do you know what the problem is?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rosanne--I think it's because you are missing the necessary WGR column which should follow the BGR column.

Row 6 requests style code 5, which doesn't exist in the style file

I have the same problem as Rosanne. I read the admin's comment on the row before having a problem, but it is hard for me to detect what could be that problem. Are there specific signs to look for systematically?
    Thank you so much.

Can you attach or send your input file? Would be happy to take a look.

Row 3 requests style code 0, which does not exist in the style file

I am trying to run an input file in DirectRT but the error message tells me "Row 3 requests style code 0, which does not exist in the style file (.drt) for this session," even though the style code for that row is 1, not 0.
    I think it's because you have some extra line terminators (*). Try making sure there is only one asterisk at the immediate end of each trial.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-25-2009 at 04:40 PM.

I tried taking out the extra line of asteriks but I am still having trouble running the input file due to "row 3 requests style code 0...". I am attching my input file again with the extra *'s out and see if something else might be causing the problem. Thanks!

Similar problem: "Row 3 has a missing value for one of its time columns"

Hi Blair,

I want to run a DirectRT study in which participants are incrementally shown one image at a time on the screen. They are first shown one image and asked whether they want to reveal another image or to stop (i.e., skip to the next trial). They have the option to reveal up to 49 images. I wrote the DirectRT file but kept getting the error message "Row 3 has a missing value for one of its time columns". I checked many times for extra asteriks or spaces but could not find anything. Attached is the .csv file and the stim. The csv file has more than 256 columns (the max allowed by Excel 2003), so please open it with a text editor. I would be extremely grateful if you could suggest what might be going wrong with the file.

Thanks a lot,
    Krishna

Krishna,

I believe the error is arising because of the last line:
    Code:
    1,1,0,0,1,~Please specify the location of the chocolate that you want to choose by providing position from the top and position from the left,rt:text,*
    The above text is missing a location value. I think it may work if it reads:
    Code:
    1,1,0,0,1,~Please specify the location of the chocolate that you want to choose by providing position from the top and position from the left,"0,0,1",rt:text,*
    I hope that helps,
    Trevor

"Row 2 is requesting a style code 0..."

Same problem: "Row 2 is requesting a style code 0...". I carefully reviewed the input file, but can't find a problem. Can you help, please? Thanks!
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-22-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Yulia--this looks like a regional settings issue due to the fact that some countries do not use commas in CSV (comma separated value) files.

See also:
    http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=148

Usually, setting regional settings in the Windows Control Panel to "United States" while editing your input files can solve this.

Row 7 requests style code 0, which does not exist in the style file (.drt)

Hello,

I have the same issues as everyone else in this thread. The weird thing is that I only started to have this issue once I upgraded from DirectRT v2010.2 to DirectRT v2010.3. I upgraded to v2010.3 because of freezing issues. Anyways, I have attached the file I am trying to run. Can someone please take a look at it and tell me if I have done something wrong?

Thanks,

Max

Dear mkubota--I think DirectRT is having a problem reading the input file probably because there are no stimuli specified in column I for trials 4-19. Are you trying to present a blank screen in those positions? If so, try using a blank text stimulus by simply entering "~" in the cell (without the quotes).

Hope that helps,
    Blair