Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Backsound for just one item?

Backsound for just one item?

[edited from support email]
    I want to insert a background noise in a couple of screens, but not in all of them. How can i do that? I tried to do it by inserting the noise in the screen that i want, but the noise is heard throughout the whole experiment.

If you need to stop a BackSound upon item completion then you can simply insert “silence.wav” as the backsound for the subsequent item. It is a short silent sound file that will cancel any currently playing BackSound. Silence.wav can be found in the MediaLab "Utilities" folder.

Movies in MediaLab

Okay, I'm having a little problem that requires some explanation.

We are doing experiments on event representation that involves looking at videos. The videos I shot have sound that the participants do not need to hear. We also present what the main events of interest are in a video before we show it to them. Ideally, we could do this aurally. However, right now, we have to just turn the sound off so the videos cannot be heard, and participants just have to read the focus events aloud (so we are sure they have read them).

I have tried several techniques, including using a modified silence file as a backsound, and even trying to make a backsound that is exactly out of phase with the movie sound to cancel out the sound (I was proud of coming up with this idea, but in practice, it seems nearly impossible).

So, the question is, how do I make the sound for the video go away and still have audio availible for aural presentation of stimulus? Note that I cannot (with the software at hand) simply delete the sound track of the video, or else this would be no problem.

Adjusting Speaker Volume Automatically During Session

Sometimes you will have multiple media clips in your session and they vary in volume. Some play too loud, others not loud enough. Now you can embed an executable item at any point called volume.exe located in the C:\MediaLab\Utilities\Sounds folder. Copy this file into your experiment folder. Anywhere in your experiment add an executable item and in the filename field, type volume.exe. In the parameters field enter (c5) where 5 is a volume setting from 1 to 10. For max volume, enter (c10) and for min volume enter (c1). Any integer value from 1 to 10 is ok. You'll get a brief, "please wait one moment" message while the volume is adjusted after which you can click to continue.

from: www.empirisoft.com/medialab/help/miscellaneous_features.htm
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-05-2006 at 01:47 PM.