Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Empty experiment file and HTML problem

Empty experiment file and HTML problem

[edited for brevity by the management]

I found that medialab will run my experiment, but when I open the experiment or the questionnaire in the experiment editor it is blank. How can I continue to modify it?

Also, I am trying to insert an HTML file, which works, but when they hit 'submit' on one web-page it shows an error text box before taking them there.

Finally, I would like to remove the 'continue' button while they are completing these web-based pages, as it makes it possible for them to skip this task entirely.

thank you,
    Sonia
    Last edited by jarvis24; 07-06-2006 at 11:12 AM.

The blank questionnaire is usually a result of the file being markled as read-only or located in a folder to which you do not have read/write access. If you have an IT person there, they could check both of these possibilities for you.

The HTML issue--would need to know exactly what the error says. And currently, HTML items need the "Continue" button as there is no other way for MediaLab to know when the item is over. Let me know if you have a suggestion for that--e.g., what condition would define when the item would end and how that could be indicated in advance.

HTML question

thanks! the HTML error message i am getting simply says:
    an error has occurred on the script in this page

and then:
    object doesn't support this property or method.

i'm wondering, the page was written in javascript - is it possible that media lab won't support this format?

as for the continue button issue... the html page has a submit button on it, so is there anyway that this could replace the continue button? after they hit the submit button they are led to a second html page that gives them a "wait for feedback message" which is displayed for 30 seconds, after that time has elapsed they are automatically taken to a page that provides false feedback. at this point - once they have read the false feedback - a continue button would be suitable. is there any way to tell medialab that the continue button should only appear at that point? let me know if my question still isn't clear enough!

thanks again!
    looking forward to your reply,
    Sonia

If you are using v2006, then you can list the html file as a Custom Item rather than as an HTML Item. Doing so actually REQUIRES that you use a submit button and, yes, this will take the place of the regular continue button. Note also that you can have the Submit button actual say "Continue" if you like and a really cool feature--if any of the submiotted variable names match the current (or any other) MediaLab variable name, then MediaLab wil intercept the posted value and save it to your data file. Just thought I'd mention that in case it helps. If you still get an HTML error--be sure to check that the HTML files run properly when opened directly in Internet Explorer.