Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: using participant's responses in future custom items

using participant's responses in future custom items

Hi,
    I am designing a study where I want to include participants' response to one item in a later custom item. In my study, I need participants to name 5 activities, and then rate the activities on a number of scales. I wanted to use the custom feature so that all the scales can be presented on 1 page, but I want the description to refer to the text which the participant entered. So, for example, if the participant wrote 'basketball' as an activity, I want all the questions on the custom questionnaire to refer to "basketball". I know this is possible to do with regular mediafile questions by inserting into the text. I tried to do that with the custom file using , and then putting the variable name into the question wording, but it did not work. Is there a way to do this?

Also, can I write responses from a custom item into a text file to be later used by DirectRT?

Thank you.
    Marina

Hi Marina,

This is definitely possible by using variable replacements. See the following link for a reference of different variables that can be swapped out of a custom item: http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h..._reference.htm
    Have you tried running through the sample custom items yet?

In order to write responses from a custom item, that can later be used by DirectRT, you would need to write a small custom application.

Does this help?

Regards,
    Trevor

using in DirectRT

Hi,
    I used a custom item that inserted text that participants entered in a fill-in-the blank question, but I want the text to come from an earlier custom item, and it is not working. I am attaching the questionnaire I designed with the two custom items. Participants are supposed to write 3 domains in the first page, and then each of the next pages should phrase the question relative to the domain they indicated, but right now it is just not seeing anything where I put <ml.wording> - could you please take a look at it and let me know why they are not displaying?

Also, you mentioned I would need to write a custom application if I wanted to display the words in DirectRT - is this difficult to do? What would this application involve? Could you please direct me on how to go about writing such an application?
    Thank you.
    Marina
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Marina,

I went ahead and took the time to help you with your questionnaire. I've attached the contents of the edits I've made within this post.

It would seem that the only way you can add-in variable replacements in a custom item is to make use of MediaLab's ability to work with excel. Through the use of MediaLab's advanced features you can keep the current variables being used recorded in excel. These variables can then be swapped within a custom item by simply using their ID in-between brackets.

For example:
    Below is a collection of statements about the first domain you indicated. Please answer the following questions about <u><b><d1></b></u> .

By placing the variable d1 within brackets, we're able to make sure that MediaLab inserts the value of this variable into the custom item. Unfortunately, I don't think a custom item can store its own results within an excel file as a normal item can do - which is why the first few items within your questionnaire have been moved from an HTML file to an internal style.

Your DirectRT question would require a bit more insight. Are you still curious as to how you can proceed forward with the DirectRT task?

For more information on MediaLab's ability to harness the power of excel through its advanced features, see the following link:
    http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...d_features.htm

To read up on more information regarding custom items, see this link:
    http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...stom_items.htm

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can help in any way. Also, keep me updated on whether or not the edits I've made work on your machine.

Regards,
    Trevor
    Attached Files Attached Files