Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Randomly assign conditions?

Randomly assign conditions?

[from support emails]

Is there a way to randomize the condition that subjects are placed into? Right now the experimenter has to select the condition manually (and enter the participant id#), but as far as I can tell there is no way to have this done automatically.

The only work around that I found was by creating a response.xls file with a skipto value that uses the rand() command in excel to randomly move Ss to a different position in a questionnaire. So that I can make my first condition questions 2-10, my second condition 11-20, etc… Then the first question simply randomly assigns Ss to either skip to question 2 or 11. I think that this should work, but would love to know if you have other solutions.

I would also really like to be able to have some sort of unique id created for each subject. I typically run on multiple computers simultaneously and it would be nice if MediaLab could create an unique id per subject per computer. I can again do something like create a new variable with the rand() function, but then I am not assured that all IDs will be unique (though I’m guessing it is highly unlikely that something like a 7 digit number will reappear).
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-16-2005 at 07:36 AM.

Did you check out the stuff on the "autostart" function in the manual? That's one way to do it (basically generate assignment lists ahead of time that MediaLab can read from). In v2006 you can also write a custom script, exe or batch file and run a ML study directly (no initial interface) with subject and condition arguments--that would give you full control over assignment.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-16-2005 at 07:36 AM.

script?

Blair,

Do you have an example of a batch file that would automatically run a MediaLab experiment (without having to launch the medialab interface first)?

Thanks!
    Jeff

Jeff--yes, check this post out:

http://empirisoft.com/support/showth...sted=1#post368

Blair