Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: How do I create a pop-up window

How do I create a pop-up window

I would like to have a pop-up window that is similar to a instant messaging window pop up at some point during my experiment. I am using this to create the illusion that the participant is actually working with someone and is getting feedback from them. Is there anyway to program this into Medialab. And would it be possible for the participant to enter an answer into the window when prompted to do so?

I would be unbelivably grateful if someone could help me with this

Hm. This is a complicated question.
    It is indeed possible to do what you require through MediaLab; however the methods to do so aren't quite ideal.

The first way you could accomplish this task is by writing a small application that MediaLab can call upon. Through MediaLab's EXE item type, you would be able to display the fake messenger as an exe, and wait for the entire process to end. The biggest hurdle for going with this route would be the prerequisite of having enough programming knowledge to complete a task such as this.

The second way you could accomplish this task is by writing a javascript / html solution in which a messenger~esque window is faked in an IE environment.

-

DirectRT has a small sample that is similar to what you're requesting, it may be worth looking into the software to see if its extra control will help for this project.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi there,
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply. This looks very difficult indeed. I don't have any programming experience in Java or any other program and so this looks almost impossible.
    I read on one of the forums that creating a popup window with some information on it is not so difficult. I take it from your answer that the complexity lies in having the participants reply- or are both processes difficult?

Sorry - I forgot to ask before- would you have any ideas of how I could create the fake javascript/html window?

Both processes are relatively difficult to complete. Out of curiosity, when does your experiment begin? After we finish managing the next releases of DirectRT and MediaLab, I'd be glad to help with the coding for this experiment; however until then, my hands are tied. The problem is that your experiment requires quite a bit of technical knowledge.

It may be worth considering hiring someone to help with the process.