Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Cheating program

Cheating program

Hi there,
    I am trying to create a math program consisting of 15 questions for an experiment. However, I would like to give participants a "cheating option" such that pressing a key (e.g. spacebar) will reveal the answer to the question on the screen. If they choose to cheat, I need them to still be able to enter the answer into the answer box themselves and if they choose not to cheat, I need them to still be able to answer the question by inputting their answer into the answer box. Is this possible to do?

Thanks,
    Rimma

There's a few ways to complete this objective:

1. The first option would be to use a scale response. In the first selection simply add the text label <specify>. This tells the software to allow an input box to open up if the item is selected. The second selection would be a 'cheat' button. If the user selects this button, you would simply skip to a screen in which the question is asked, and the answer is given. Rather than using an input box to answer the question, you may want to use a 'fill-in-the-blank' item type for questions in which the user has cheated.

2. The second option would be to use a 'custom item' item type. This would allow for complete control on how to display the item in question. For more information on custom items, see the following link:
    http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...stom_items.htm

Thanks for your reply. The other issue we have is with TTL signals. We need to be able to send TTLs at the onset of each question, when/if the participants presses the cheat key, & when the answer is entered. Is this possible?