Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Displaying Executable Across Mult. Questions

Displaying Executable Across Mult. Questions

Is there a way that I can start an executable then keep it available for use during subsequent multiple response questions? Or is there a way I can present an executable and a multiple response question simultaneously?

jtc1_huskers,

In regards to your first question, you would want to use the item type 'executable'.

The following may help give a better idea as to what can be done to solve your second question:
    "Note that for all other item types, an executable file may be launched at the start of the item by adding a "c" parameter followed by the file name, e.g., (p7,cmyprog.exe) would cause myprog.exe to launch at the start of a 7pt scale response. This is especially useful for programs that should run silently in the background as MediaLab will not attempt to keep the program visually in the foreground unless it is launched via the Executable item type."

Also, be sure to read up on the following:
    http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...ueitemtype.htm

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Trevor

Thank you for your quick reply. However, I'm not sure if the info provided resolves my issue. Unless I misunderstood the instructions, it seems that I can't have the executable and the question/answer choices visible simultaneously. The purpose of the executable I created is to provide optional help regarding how to properly answer questions, so it would be necessary that participants could see it AND the questions/answer choices at the same time.

I would like to add that I appreciate your help and I'm impressed with the speed of your response and good customer service.

jtc1_huskers,

Hm. I don't quite think there's an easy way to work in what you need. Here's a solution that should do what you need; however it seems like it may be more work than it's worth:

If you would like the .exe to appear with the current item and stay visible, you will need to use an external application to keep the window always on top.

If you use an external application you should also be able to add in the ability to prevent 'minimize', 'maximize', 'close', and 'move.'

The biggest down side to this route would be telling the software when to close the .exe . A second external .exe would need to be called between each item that told the current .exe to close down.

-

I apologize if this doesn't quite solve the problem. May I ask what type of experiment you're trying to run? Perhaps another solution can be found without using the .exe's you need.

Regards,
    Trevor