Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: $pos.txt not found?

$pos.txt not found?

I was testing the questionnaire and every time I get to the 2nd RT task (with randomized $pos and $neg), there will be one item that shows "$pos.txt not found"....I have searched back and forth in my csv file and txt file, but all items look normal (at least all items look the same, and apparently only one stimuli shows the error message).

Would you help me with this issue? It is in the 2nd RT task, so you can skip the 1st task (it is long..).

Thank you so much!
    Attached Files Attached Files

So this is happening in the food_affective.csv input file? When I unzipped it, there was no stim subfolder--everything was in one folder. I assume you have a stim folder in which the pos and neg files are located normally yes? If so--all the trials are working except one--and in that case you are told that the stim list file does not exist? How odd!

I would suggest first simplifying. Take just the input file and put it in its own folder. Put the pos and neg text files in a stim subfolder. Eliminate any trials that do not use these files for their stimuli. Set all your WGR and BGR values to 0. Then run just that input file and see if you can replicate the error. If you can, please zip that folder and send it to me or attach it to your reply.

Thank you so much for your fast reply!

In fact, this file has been used among many researchers, and I am using it following their design. Random problems like the one I described have been reported from various places, and none of us could figure out why....I am not sure what do you mean by stim folder since the template we have is just like the one I zip for you....everything in one folder.....Is this where we did wrong?

Try unzipping and running this revised folder structure. Of greatest note, it has the stimlist files located within their own stim subfolder of the data folder. If they are located elsewhere without an explicit path, then you may get some kind of missing file issue. Hope that helps.

Note also, that using underscores in your input file name has implications for the data file structure--you may or may not want to replace the underscore with a hyphen, e.g., food-affective.csv rather than food_affective.csv.

Excerpt from the user's guide Overview of Data Output:

An Alternative Method
    If you have many different versions of an input file and don't want the data from each one put in a separate folder then you can do the following: Name your input files with common name (e.g., input) and then use an underscore and an ID, e.g., input_1.csv, input_2.csv, etc.). DirectRT will create folder in the data directory using the common name and will place any data from input file sharing that common name in the same folder. E.g., c:\input files\data\input. You will be able to identify exactly which input file the subject received because it's written to the log data file.

Thank you for your quick response!

I used the files you sent me, and I made a simple questionnaire file (containing these RT tasks while keeping txt files in the stim subfolder). I also changed the file names so there is no underscore now.

However, when I get to the 2nd RT task (food-affective.csv), there is still an item saying "$pos.txt not found".....I have zipped the whole questionniare and uploaded it here. Would you mind going through the questionnarie and see if it happens on your computer, too?

This issue is quite peculiar.

I was able to run the input file properly without any problems.

Let's try troubleshooting a bit further:
    1. What version of DirectRT are you running?
    2. What character identifies a different directory on your PC? For instance, to get to my root directory, I would go to: "C:\" . The character: '\' is used to identify a different directory on my PC.
    Is this example the same on your machine?
    3. What version of Windows are you running?
    4. Are you able to run the sample files? More specifically, the ones that use stimlists?

- Trevor