Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Jumping AND Minmax

Jumping AND Minmax

I have a Direct RT question. Participants are supposed to hit the up arrow when a particular symbol appears but the down arrow if a different symbol appears. I have already set up my csv file such they get feedback if they hit the correct arrow key. Specifically, they see a green "O" if they press the correct response and a red "X" if they press the incorrect response. The way I've set this up is that the "O" is part of each individual trial, but if the participant presses the wrong key, they jump briefly to trial 950, which presents the "X".

Now I want to also give participants feedback if they aren't responding fast enough, whether they get it right or wrong. So I'd love for a "you're too slow" message to come up in addition to the O and the X. But I'm not sure how to do that. I tried the minmax feature, but that had two problems: (a) If I go too slow, I get the warning but not the O or the X, and worse (b) if I go too slow AND I get the trial wrong, the experiment ends (presumably after jumping to trial 950, it didn't know how to get back, I guess?)

Anyway, I hope this makes sense - can you help me? Thanks...

What if instead of rt:208,200<-950, you used rt:208<949,200<950 and end the trial there? i.e., creating an "O" jump for correct responses. Do you still get the same issues?

That fixed it - thanks!

jumping and minmax

Hi, I have the same problem as stated in the quote below. However, the solution suggested by Empirisoft does not work for me.
    I need to use the jumping command "<-" because in case of a correct response each trial continues in an unique way. As stated below, using the minmax function in addition causes direct rt to end the experiment if you respond too slowly and with the wrong key. Has this bug been fixed?

Thanks,
    Regina

Quote Originally Posted by paulyeah View Post
    I have a Direct RT question. Participants are supposed to hit the up arrow when a particular symbol appears but the down arrow if a different symbol appears. I have already set up my csv file such they get feedback if they hit the correct arrow key. Specifically, they see a green "O" if they press the correct response and a red "X" if they press the incorrect response. The way I've set this up is that the "O" is part of each individual trial, but if the participant presses the wrong key, they jump briefly to trial 950, which presents the "X".

Now I want to also give participants feedback if they aren't responding fast enough, whether they get it right or wrong. So I'd love for a "you're too slow" message to come up in addition to the O and the X. But I'm not sure how to do that. I tried the minmax feature, but that had two problems: (a) If I go too slow, I get the warning but not the O or the X, and worse (b) if I go too slow AND I get the trial wrong, the experiment ends (presumably after jumping to trial 950, it didn't know how to get back, I guess?)

Anyway, I hope this makes sense - can you help me? Thanks...

RT feedback still skips correct/incorrect feedback

Hi,

I have my .csv files set up so that correct responses jump to a "correct" feedback trial and incorrect responses jump to an "incorrect" feedback trial (e.g., rt:18<271,23<272). I also have the min/max feedback option set up to let them know when they are going too slow. When participants receive "too slow" feedback, however, the program no longer provides them with correct/incorrect feedback - it just advances to the next trial.

Is there anyway participants can still receive correct/incorrect feedback in addition to the "too slow" message? I had it working when I originally programmed the study in v2006, but this problem began when I switched to v2010.

Thanks!