Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: displaying number of trials done/remaining

displaying number of trials done/remaining

Hi! Boy, are you guys gonna be sick of me soon. :-)

My new question is whether or not it is possible to have a running tally of the number of experiments that have been done and the number that have yet to be done. I know that this is possible to simply display at the top of the screen when it is built in; but the problem is that all of the trials in my experiment are randomized (they present a prime-stimulus, in that order, but the ordering of the particular prime/stim combo is completely random). If not, i could always split it into two (or more) groups with a sort of intermission in between them, where i can tell the subject they've reached the halfway point (or quarter or whatever); however, for the longer experiments i would like to have a running tally so subjects know how many more they have to do. Please let me know how to do it! thanks!

You want to display the number of blocks left at each break, or the number of total trials left? And this is displayed during the break or as a header on each trial?

I was hoping to have the participant see the number of trials either as a header on the trials themselves, or displayed after each experimental trial, when the program jumps to the feedback trials. My primary problem is that all of the experimental trials in random order, otherwise i would simply number them sequentially; i was wondering if there was some way to show the participants, either at the top of the screen or when i jump to the feedback, how many trials they've done and/or how many are left. The work-around would have to have the trials broken up into different sections like i mentioned before, with a trial in between that would simply say something like "you're halfway done, press any key to continue", but i think that this solution might confound the experiment (a variation on the IAT called the Shooter Task).
    Anything you can tell me would be great, thank you!
    Last edited by pirroav; 01-30-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: clarifying

What about putting a fixed dummy trial between each real trial which indicates how many trials are left. Assign each dummy trial a WGR value of 0 so they do not get randomized with the others. Would that do it?

that just about did it, actually; I did it in between blocks of trials, and it solved the problem rather nicely.