Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Please Specify Pop-up

Setting duration of a backsound

[edited]

I am trying to create a questionnaire that has a sound background with on-screen scale items. I want the entire sound byte to play before the subject can move to the next question, even if he/she answered the on-screen scale item. I put (d3) after the backsound file name, so the sound would play out its three second duration.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 04-25-2006 at 08:45 AM.

Can't use the d parameter after a background sound. You can create a fixed time for the item as a whole by adding d3 to the general item parameters but I'm guessing you want the subjects to have more time if they need it, no?

Sound Time

Yes, I would like the participants to have as much time as they need. With that said, I really don't think participants will need more than the 2-5 seconds of the sound clip.

Here's what I am trying to do:
    The participants will respond to simple scale item on the screen while listening to a different small sound byte per question. In most cases, the scale item question will take less time to answer than the soundbyte. The MediaLab manual says the background sound will continue to play until it has finished. I am not finding this to be the case. I have a different sound byte for each question and as soon as the scale question is answered, it cuts off the sound byte and moves on to the next one.

When I set the parameter to last for the duration of the sound byte, if the respondent doesn't answer soon enough, a pop-up window appears. I can't seem to get that window to stop showing up either.

Any suggestions?

Ah but read on--it will play to completion or until another backsound is encountered. I'm guessing that the sound byte on your next question starts up as the previous one is ending, yes? As far as that prompt goes, take a look at the section in the guide on "message.txt" and "substitute.txt" in the Preferences section. Using a replacement prompt of "" will usually inhibit the message.