Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: How do I make a zip file to post an attachment?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do I make a zip file to post an attachment?

[edited from support email]

How do I zip my files and/or folders so I can attach them as a single file to my post or email?

If you need to combine many files into one convenient file to send as an email attachment, or for back up purposes, the easiest way to do this is to create a zip file which is basically a compressed folder that contains multiple files.
    1. Go to "My Computer", or use Windows Explorer or any other method you like to browse your hard drive.
    2. Select the files / folders you wish to zip (you can put them all into one folder, or hold ctrl and click on each individual file / folder)
    3. Right-Click on the selected file(s) / folder(s).
    4. Hover over Send To, then click on Compressed (zipped) Folder
    5. A zip folder should appear with the selected contents contained inside. The zipped folder acts as a single file. It may take some time for your computer to compile the new file.
    The above process works in Windows XP and Vista. There are a variety of utilities out there such as WinZIP and WinRAR that can also perform this task. Most such utilities will install themselves into your right-click menu, meaning that you can right-click inside of Windows Explorer and choose to create a ZIP file out of selected files.

To attach the zip file (or other files) to your post, click the Manage Attachments button on the reply page.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 09-13-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis24 View Post
    [edited from support email]

How do I zip my files and/or folders so I can attach them as a single file to my post or email?

1. Click on the start key on the startup screen of your computer. Click to open your documents.

2. Create a new folder. This can be done by clicking on organization in the top left hand corner and then create new folder.

3. Drag and drop your files into the new folder. To do this you will left click the file, hold down the left mouse key and drag the file over your folder. To release the file into the folder simply let go of the file. Repeat this step until you have all of the files you want to put in into the folder.

4. Right click the folder and scroll down to the rename folder and give your folder a new name. Choose a name that will help you recognize the file easily.