Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Specifying "other" in a scale response

Specifying "other" in a scale response

I am asking a demographic question on race. If the participant selects "biracial/multiracial" I would like a text box to appear that allows them to specify the races. Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to display the word "none" as a choice in scale response? Currently there's a space so it looks like " none" but I was wondering if there were other solutions. Thank you!

I am using MediaLab 2006.

Try doing a forum search on "specify"--I think you'll turn up some useful links. Here is a blurb from the manual on the section regarding scale responses:

Finally, you may want a subject to specify their answer if, for example, you give the an "Other" option. Just include <specify> in the text label of the response option. This will not be displayed to the subject but will cause MediaLab to prompt subjects to enter a text response if they choose this option. For example, if you wanted the seventh option to be "other" and you wanted subjects to specify what "other" means, then enter other <specify> for the text label. The actual text response will be written to the data file instead of response number. If you choose to use this feature, you should select the Write As Text option for the variable since a numeric variable in SPSS will not be able to store a text response.
    As far as using none as an option, I thought we addressed that at some point. I'll check into and post a solution if there is one, otherwise yes, you maybe have to go with " none" "none." "-none-" etc.