Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: palmtop/handheld computers

palmtop/handheld computers

I'm preparing a grant and would like to use cheaper handheld computers. Does the medialab software work on handheld computers with a stylus? If so, what do I need to know?

UMPCs

On a related note, have MediaLab and DirectRT been tested on any of the new ultra-mobile PCs (e.g. the Asus EeePC or the MSi Wind)? Are there any timing issues with the Atom processor?

Ultra mobile should not be an issue but we haven't much data to offer here. In cases like this, we are always happy to offer a free test copy for you to play with--and with extra enthusiasm if promise you'll tell us what happens!

With respect to handhelds (treos, pocket pcs, iPhones and such), no not yet--although that is certainly a direction we are pursuing. Currently, whatever machine you use must have a fully functional version of Windows. It can't be crippled in some way. If you can load and run pretty much any other Windows application on it, then there is a very good chance the MediaLab will run just fine on it. Don't think here about Microsoft programs, think more in terms of programs like Photoshop, SPSS, SAS and that sort of thing.

Let me add though, that we have had users reported success with MediaLab on the smaller tablet PCs.

Any updated info on handheld/ipod use?

Given the date of the last post, I'm curious if there has been any recent developments for using MediaLab on handheld devices (particularly the iPod touch). I have colleagues who have participants carry and iPod touch and collect data using exZact. It looks promising, but I'd prefer to stick with MediaLab (out of familiarity and loyalty). Any way to get MediaLab on an iPod touch?

As of now we do not have a system available for MediaLab that could be used on a device such as an iPod touch; however lately we've been interested in expanding out the software so that it could be used on more portable devices (although not quite portable, our 2010 versions of DirectRT and MediaLab have reached a new mile-stone among this development path, as they are the first in our line-up among Empirisoft's products to use an online system).

We're very interested in further pursuing the ability to have questionnaires and experiments reach as many individuals as possible.

This summer I would like to try investing more time into seeing if we can get MediaLab's basic procedures working on more devices (ie. basic questionnaire's).

What type of functionality would you like to see in a MediaLab-based application on the iPod Touch? What other handheld devices would you like to see the software usable on?

Thank you for your interest amczopp (and others!) -- reading these queries gets us motivated to continue creating powerful research tools.

Questionnaires on Windows Mobile

I am looking to find what Empirisoft's current stance is for windows mobile. I have an iPAQ and I am searching for a way to administer questionnaires on it during a alcohol drinking task. Our lab has been remodeled to look like a real bar. Having participants leave to do a medialab study on a desktop or laptop isn't a viable option. Our study relies on the simulation of actually being in a bar. I would like to be able to allow participants to quickly reply to a simple questionnaire on the iPAQ, is there anyway I can do this? or is there something empirisoft can suggest? I am open to trying things out. Thank you.

So far, any execution of a MediaLab or DirectRT session requires a full install of Windows. Even on a Mac it requires this via Bootcamp or Parallels (see Mac post in the pre-sales forum). This is certainly a direction we are ultimately heading toward but for now, we are focusing on being able to run sessions online. This however, will still require that the user's system be compatible with Microsoft's .NET runtime.