Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Specific Formatting Question!

Specific Formatting Question!

We are trying to format media lab to ask subjects to list 20 people they know, and then rate each of the people on two dimensions (familiarity and context of interaction). For example, I list Joe Smith, and then I rate him on a 1-5 scale of familiarity and 1-5 scale of how often I see him. I've been working on this using the "thought rating" and "thought listing" item types, but can't seem to get this to work. When I insert qlistx as a parameter, I keep receiving error messages. Not sure how to make this work - Any thoughts?

Do you have any randomization needs or is it simply a matter of listing the 20 people and then going through that list in order?

formatting

nope, no need for randomization, just need people to list the 20 people and then rate each one of them on 2 dimensions, preferably all on the same slide. is it possible?

Well, the easiest way would be to administer 20 consecutive fill-in-the-blanks to get the names. Use variable names like name01, name02, ... name20. Then ask the 20 sets of follow-up questions and simply include the name in the question wording like "Tell us how <name01> makes you feel..."

If having the multiple questions on the same page is necessary, you can get into creating the item as an HTML form (see Creating Custom Items in the users guide).

There are a lot of options for doing to stuff like this, so feel free to let me know if you run into any trouble. The first method described above though would be super easy if you can live with the follow up questions being asked one at a time.