Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Playing Videos in DirectRT- sound only

Playing Videos in DirectRT- sound only

Hello,

I am trying to display several short videos in Direct RT. The files are in .mpeg format and play without a problem in the Windows Media Player. When I run the input file, the screen is black but I can hear the audio portions of the videos. I just can't see any images.

I tried using a different computer in a different lab and ran into the same problem.

What can I do to fix this?
    Thanks.

What version of DirectRT (200x.x.x) and Windows Media Player are you using? And this is Windows XP? Also, can you attach a copy of your input file?

Info

Thanks for your reply.

I am using version V2004.3.0.24 and the Windows Medial Player is version 9.00.00.3349. Yes, the computer is using Windows XP. Also, I've attached my input file.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, your input file is pretty straightforward! I would suggest trying clips from some other source to see if it has something to do with the encoding of the clips. If it does this regardless of the clip, then I would suggest downloading and trying v2008 just to see if it's a version issue. Or, if you if you like and the clips are short enough feel free to send me one via support@...com and I'll try it out here.

I downloaded a video from a random website and WAS able to run it in DirectRT without issue.

What does this mean for me? I really need to use the videos that aren't working. Is there anything I can do? I'll try to upload one of them.

You may be missing the codec intended to be used for the video on your machine--perhaps the Windows Media Player is adapting and using something else, whereas DirectRT is not being so flexible. When I play the video in the Windows Media Player, and check File > Properties, I see that this video uses the CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7). Do you happen to have that on your machine (check My Computer > Hardware Device Manager > Sound Video and Game Controllers > Video Codecs > Properties). If not, do you have a copy of the Cyberlink Software that was used to create the video files?

[edited by moderator]

I followed your instructions and checked to see if I have the Cyberlink codec and I do not. Also, I do not have a copy of the software used to create the video files. I'll try to see about getting a copy of the needed codec.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-23-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Update

On second thought, I do believe my Windows Media Player is using the Cyberlink video/sp decoder codec to display the video clips. At first, I couldn't play the clips in WMP on my PC so I asked tech support on-campus for help. They downloaded PowerDVD to the PC and then I could view the clips.

Also, I do have access to Moviestar 5 video editing software on a different PC (I think the clips may have been created using this program). I can change the video format (mpeg, avi) and codec (to a very limited extent) using its editing functions. BUT, how do I know which format to choose? They all seem to work in WMP. Do you know which might work in DirectRT?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by lelliott10; 06-20-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Correcting info

Honestly, I don't know what the problem with this format is in DirectRT. I know there is something unusual about it though. I can play it also in WMP. But when I try to play it in QuickTime or QuickTime Pro, it says it is not a valid video format--and that is unusual for QT to say that about an MPG file that WMP can handle. So I don't have any great advice. If it were me, I would try a few different formats until I found one that would at least be recognized by QT as a valid MPG file. I also noticed when looking at the properties across different systems there were some inconsistencies in aspect ratio, size and bit rate. I think all of this would probably be sorted out with trying a couple different encoding methods.