Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Playing video files- sound only

Playing video files- sound only

Hello,

I am trying to display several short videos in Direct RT. The files are in .mpeg format and play without a problem in the Windows Media Player. When I run the input file, the screen is black but I can hear the audio portions of the videos. I just can't see any images.

I tried using a different computer in a different lab and ran into the same problem.

What can I do to fix this?
    Thanks.

Experiment TOMORROW--can HEAR but not SEE video??

[edited by moderator]

Hey all,
    I just transferred my experiment to the computers we'll be using in my lab to run my experiment. Everything was running perfectly on the main computer (the one I used to create the experiment files), including the videos. However, now that I have set everything up on our experimental computers, when it comes to viewing my stimuli video you can hear everything but the video itself does not show up--you can't see anything. I have specified the correct files paths and everything, and my videos played perfectly on my main computer. They are .avi files, which are supported by MediaLab, so I am very confused as to what I can do to get my visuals going with the sound.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-10-2009 at 09:24 AM.

[edited by moderator]
    To elaborate on this issue, I have searched around on this forum and have tried everything I came across. I discovered on my lab's computers that the video wasn't even playing normally on Windows Media Player--sound only, like MediaLab--and that I needed a codec. I installed the correct one for my Windows XP and in the Player the videos played fine, but they still are messed up in MediaLab--sound only. I also tried putting the video as a background video to an Instruction page, and that did not work.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-10-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Did you try turning off/on the "Use Enhanced Video" option, now that the videos are playing properly in the Windows Media Player? Also, which version of MediaLab are you using--i.e., 200x.x.x? Finally, is it possible you can send us one of the clips and the que as email attachments to our support@empirisoft.com email address? I'll try it here on one of our XP machines and see if I can replicate the issue. Just curious--does it work if you try any other video clips--e.g., something/anything randomly downloaded off the internet?

Also, just a note regarding an emergency fix--if you need something to work today, you could use an HTML item with the video embedded in the HTML page (many examples available on the internet for this HTML code). If you can get the page to work in Internet Explorer, then it ought to work nicely in MediaLab using the HTML item or any Custom Item. But this ought to be used just for a quick fix--I'll gladly look at your files to see if we can figure out why the regular functionality is not working as it should.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Thank you. I have just sent an e-mail to your support address and have answered you questions within the e-mail itself. Feel free to either write back or post here--obviously, either notification will make its way to my e-mail inbox.

Can you install the latest version of v2008 on one of your machines (i.e, as opposed to v2006) and see if that resolves it? I can get you a free code to test it. I just ran one of your conditions here w v2008 and it seems to have worked fine. You could also try reinstalling v2006 first if that is more attractive.