Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Key release time and reaction time with simultaneous responses

Key release time and reaction time with simultaneous responses

For simultaneous key presses you have to create an rt1:txt file in you stimuli, and to record release times you have to put rtr:any in the time column. How do I combine these options? I need to record the release time (space bar) and the reaction time of a bimanual key press (z and /).

Hmm--never tried it. Have you considered putting them back to back? e.g., take the release RT and then display a blank stimulus ("~") for say 10ms without clearing the screen ("~", "0,0,0", "rt1:txt")? You could then take the multiple response to that second blank stimulus while your earlier stimulus remains on the screen. Something like that?

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is that with the release command, you have to make a response before it reads the release, i.e. if you started on the space bar and released it you have to press another key before you are given the release time of the space bar. And I want to make a bimanual response. The codes seem to be incompatible.

Ah, I see. So the RTR function requires a press after the release. And you don't want a press--you want to go directly onto the multiple press function. I think you are right--I don;t see a way around that. The only work around I can think of off hand would be to have the release the the bimanual responses on consecutive trials. For the RTR component, you could use a style with 0-1! as the minmax value. That would cause (I think) DirectRT to continue automatically to the next trial after the key release. Use a short trial interval like 50ms and just account for that when calculating your RTs. Does that make sense?