Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Data saving to SPSS as "ok" instead of numbers

Data saving to SPSS as "ok" instead of numbers

Hello,

I am using Custom items in Media lab --- radio buttons, text boxes, drop down menus, etc---and I am having problems getting the data to save correctly in SPSS when I have multiple questions. It will show the variable name as the column title but then the only data listed under it is the word "ok". I have tried everything to get it to work, I even tried backtracking using the "multiple radio buttons" test file on this site.

Here is the code I use for one of my questions with the variable name "relig":

<form method="post">
    <tr>
    <td>Do you consider yourself to be a member of a particular religion, such as Christianity (Orthodox, Catholic, or Protestant), Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam?</td>
    <br>
    <td align="center"><input type=radio name="<ml.varname>_01" value="1" class="radio">Yes</td>
    <td align="center"><input type=radio name="<ml.varname>_01" value="2" class="radio">No</td>
    <br>
    </tr>
    </form>
    <form method="post">
    If so, which religion?
    <input name="relig2">
    <input type="submit" value="Continue"">
    </form>

Help me please! Thank you!

Are you using a variables (v) parameter? In the case you describe, you would normally use (v2) to indicate that you have 2 variables to record. Your would then use <ml.varname>_01 and <ml.varname)_02 to refer to those two variables in your HTML code. OR you could refer to them explicitly as relig_01 and relig_02.

Note: Normally, if you have just one variable, you can skip the v parameter and just use <ml.varname> or, in this case, relig.

Data saving in alphabetical order, not survey order

Now that I have the data saving properly, I notice that it is saving the data to SPSS with the variable names in alphabetical order.

How do I get it to save in SPSS with the variable names in the order in which I put them in my questionnaire?

Thank you!

No luck there. The native .SAV formatted file is only created in the byVariableName format. You would have to use one of the alternate data file formats located in the byQuestionnaire data folder. See also the data FAQ in the user's guide for help on the other data formats.

-Blair