Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Joystick - Continuous

Joystick - Continuous

I am trying to use the joystick-continuous feature of Direct RT to collect data for about 3 minutes. I have created a joyres.txt file in the same folder to specify how often the data file needs to be written. I am however facing a strange problem. The joystick.txt file only records data for 32700 milliseconds - anything above that is written as zeroes. Could you help me resolve this? I have no idea why this is happening. I tried specifying a shorter duration such as 30000 ms and it works fine, but the moment I exceed 32700 ms, I run into this problem.

Are you requesting that the data be written once per millisecond?

no...I requested that it be written every 100 ms (stored the number 10 in the joyres.txt file). I even deleted the joyres.txt file and looked at the result - the program stops writing to the data file after 32760 ms. So it appears to be some kind of upper limit imposed by DirectRT, or perhaps by the format of the txt file. The problem is that I need a large time series for the kind of analysis I need to do, otherwise I would just use Medialab's online ratings measure.

Just out of curiosity, what version of DirectRT are you using? i.e., v200x.x.x?

v 2008.1.0.11

Thanks, just wanted to make sure you were using the current version. In older versions some variable were limited to 32k but I thought we had updated all of them by v2008. If you do not use the joyres.txt file, can you get the full three minutes or does it continue to crash after 30 seconds? That joyres function is a relatively new feature so I'm curious to know if that is breaking the routine somehow.

Same story even if I do not use the joyres file. Only get 32760 ms worth of data. After that, all zeroes.

Try replacing your copy of executedrt.exe with the revision I've attached. Be sure to check out the readme file that is included with the zip file. Let me know if it helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-10-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks! The program now records the entire time series. However, there is a couple of issues. The joyres.txt file that allows you to specify the sampling rate (say, every 100 ms) seems to work only for the Y-axis information. The X-axis information is still recorded every 10 ms. Should I include two numbers in the joyres.txt file to specify both X and Y axis sampling rates? Also, another small issue is that the variable headers stop being written to file after 32700/32760, so the remaining data have no variable headers.
    I am however glad that the main issue has been sorted out - thanks!

Try the revision posted above--2008.1.13--and see if that resolves both issues for you.