Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Producing a beep upon key press after a given amount of time has occurred

Producing a beep upon key press after a given amount of time has occurred

Participants make a two-choice response by pressing one of two keys. I would like DirectRT to record their choice, but also to have the two keys beep if the participant has taken too long to respond. Is this possible. Currently, I have a Red X appear if they have taken too long (done within the style file), but I also would like to have the keys beep when pressed after the response window time.

No such luck--at least not in terms of doing this through the style file options--it's a text only option. However, have you considered using a non-response (-1) as an option that is triggered after the maximum time allowed for the RT? If so, you could do a contingent jump to a "beep" trial if the non-response occurs. I can imagine reasons you might not want to do that (depending on your design), but it was my first thought. Let me know if it sounds useful and/or if you would like me to elaborate.

Yeah, I had thought about the no response option, but we wanted to keep the ability to identify whether they had identified the object correctly or not, and we can always use the response window RT to create error data from responses that were too long.

Anyway, one other problem I've encountered that is related to my problem. I wanted to create a big X when participants go too slowly, but the styles file limits me to 96 point font, which actually is not that large of an X. Is there a way to use a larger font within the style file?

Can you use a smaller display resolution? The font sizes appear smaller as you increase your screen resolution.