Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Video Sync Problem

Video Sync Problem

I'm trying to run .wmv video files and collect responses. But every time I run the test, the videos play inconsistently - sometimes smoothly, sometimes smoothly with audio about 500ms behind, sometimes in a very stop-start manner and sometimes as if in slow-motion with stop-start audio.

When I run them in standalone WMP 10 or 11, I get some audio sync problems, but not quite to the same extent. I've tried every possible combination of WMP video acceleration setting and tried increasing the trial interval, but it's still inconsistent. Is there something I'm missing?

M

Try running the program mplayer2.exe from the Run command on the Windows Start menu. Then open and play your videos from there. Do you then get the same problem?

mplayer2 downloaded and installed a new codec to read the .wmv files, which certainly helped. But in this program I get a different sync problem, where the visuals appear as if in fast-forward for a few ms before settling, leaving the audio lagging behind.

WMP 11 doesn't seem problematic anymore though (when playing them in standalone mode), but there is still a slight inconsistency when running DirectRT - I can run the same video stimulus three times and one (it seems to change each time as to which one) will jump at the start (leaving visuals slightly behind). I've minimised it by setting the trial interval to 3000, but it still happens.

Just out of curiosity, if you set the trial interval to 10000ms (or other crazy long value), can you eliminate the problem? I'm just wondering if it's a resource issue since DirectRT preload videos to ensure immediately playback. Consequently, big files and/or large buffer requirements can potential cause a stall if DirectRT does not have enough time to do this between trials.

changing RT doesn't help

Hi. We have the same problem (although with .avi files, they play fine in WMP). They also play fine in the .exe that you list above. In Direct RT, they are slow and out of synch with the audio, and they freeze up. The videos are 2-3 seconds long, I changed time to 10000 and it is still like that. Any other ideas? This is with v2010.

bsmith82, is this related to the same issue we discussed here:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=5190

Just wondering if the compression solved the issue discussed here as well.