Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Presenting a prior ranking item

Presenting a prior ranking item

Can anyone tell me how I can have a previously ranked item presented again to the participants? I would like participants to rank a set of values from most important to least important (I know how to do this) but then I would like medialab to present to them either thier most important or least important value (depending on condition) and have them write an essay about that value. Is this possible? Thanks.

Check out the Advanced Features section of the user's guide. Find the variable name that MediaLab uses to store your ranking item and you can use the advanced features to retrieve and use that variable later on.

Presenting a previous item

I tried this and it is still not working. I get <v_01> in my question wording.

Any chance you can post or send us a copy of your que file?

Sent

I sent a copy to support. Please let me know if you don't get it.

Well, <v_01> would be the correct reference for it. Can you attach or send the responses.xls file you are using to track and determine the value of the variable?

I think the problem is that the way it is coded on the response file is with numbers. So v_01 is the first item presented according to the experiment editor but the response is then something like 4, meaning that they put that item 4th in their list. There is the same problem with using a multiple response as well. What I would like to do is actually pull the item from the ranking that received a number 1 in the response cell. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this with ranking given how the responses are coded. In the meantime, I have used a scale response and asked to enter their most important/least important item and then media lab can spit back that item in a later question. Although it works, it is less than ideal for the study and I think that it would be great if in the future media lab could allow for presenting the ranked items. Please let me know if I am incorrect here or if there is a way to do this. Thanks for the help!

Ah, I see. You can do this though--you just need to set up some conditionals in the responses.xls file. e.g., create a new variable called "v_01b" and create a conditional value for it based on the value of "v_01". e.g., If v_01 = 4 then v_01b = "volleyball" etc. The challenge is getting the conditional logic syntax correct in Excel--especially when you have 12 values to integrate within a single IF clause. If you dare to try it and run into any trouble with it, let me know.