Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Fragment Completion

Fragment Completion

(Posted to the wrong folder before.)

Hello,

I want to create trials where the subject responds by filling in the blank. For example, the word "twitch" would appear as "_w_tch" on the screen.

Using DirectRT or MediaLab, am I able to create a response box where the subject just has to type in the "t" and the "i". I know this can be done in MediaLab, but I wanted to use DirectRT. For DirectRT, will they have to type in the whole word?

I don't need to use DirectRT, but I thought it would be better to record reaction time. Otherwise, will MediaLab be sufficient for reaction time?

thanks

You are correct that MediaLab has this as a built in function and that DirectRT does not. Given the average RT and variability in the RTs for a task like this, I think MediaLab would be perfectly appropriate.

html file

Thanks jarvis.

I looked up the blanks_random.zip and fruit.zip.

So to create the blanks for my example (where the screen appears as _w_tch, and I want subjects to fill in the "_" spaces with a single letter) , I need to embed a .htm into my .que file.

I don't know how to make a html file; does medialab have a quick way to make the html file? Or can I create the fills-in-the-blank with another file type?

You can just use the standard fill in the blank format for this. Just add a mask parameter like this to the question:

(m*w*ich)

No special code needed. See the "mask" parameter in the users guide for more detail.

Additional Question about same issue

How do you force participants to enter letters (or not allow numbers and other characters), and fill in all the blanks for a mask parameter (not allow empty spaces)?

For that kind of conditional checking you would need to invoke the advanced features described in the MediaLab user's guide. You can use Excel to do any kind of check you like on the content and then use that to create a skipto value. If the conditions you want are not met, then you can set the skipto value equal to the current question's variable name. MediaLab will not let the user pass until you set the skipto value equal to none or to some other value. You could also create a custom item via HTML. There is no mask involved here but this sample might give you a rough idea of what kind of coding would be involved:

http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/showthread.php?t=222

Multiple fragment-completion items per page

Hi Blair,

I wanted to display 36 fragment completion items on a single screen and time the task for a specific duration. I edited your blanks.htm file and am attaching my file here. I had a few questions:

1) Which parameters should I change in the .htm file to decrease the space between the fragment and the box for participants' response? (Sorry, I am not at all familiar with html!)

2) If I set a duration of say 5 minutes for the fragment completion task, would Medialab save all of participants' responses when exiting the task?

3) Is there anyway to display a clock on the screen showing the amount of time left?

Thanks so much!
    Krishna
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Krishna,

Let's see here...

1. There's a few ways to do this - you may want to see if you can find someone who knows HTML to help out.
    2. I noticed in your other post that you tried using the duration parameter; however this wasn't actually saving the responses already input. You may want to try using javascript to automatically submit the form after a set amount of time.
    3. The following link may help provide a bit more light on your question: http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=409
    You could also try using either javascript or an external .exe to accomplish the task.

Let me know if this helps,
    Trevor