Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: subliminal stimuli

subliminal stimuli

Hi,
    I've been through all the threads about subliminal stimuli and I've set my screen resolution to 800x600 at 75 Hz (the maximum) and changed the style to 800x600 but I'm still getting a Time n of 27 ms when I know I have had it running at 17ms in the past. What am I forgetting here?

Meg

Can you post your input file and a sample data log file?

input file and data are attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

There doesn't seem to be anything unusual about your input file or data files. I would try to replicate the session another machine and see if you get the same result. If it's only on the first machine that it does this, then we can troubleshoot from there. Also, what version of DirectRT are you using? i.e., 200x.x.x?

I've tried on several different computers but I get the same time n of 26/27ms. The version of Direct RT I'm using is 2006.2.0.28. I recently moved my experiment from Program files to the network drive so it can run on different computers. Can this have affected it?
    Thank you

Can't say for sure, but we do highly recommend running DirectRT sessions locally rather than over a network for this very reason--especially when you have stimuli that need to be presented very fast. If you run it locally, does it help?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Hi,
    I've been through all the threads about subliminal stimuli and I've set my screen resolution to 800x600 at 75 Hz (the maximum) and changed the style to 800x600 but I'm still getting a Time n of 27 ms when I know I have had it running at 17ms in the past. What am I forgetting here?

Meg
    I also have the same problem...First I thought it was system lag...
    Anyone can help?
    ths a lot

Are you running the session off a local hard drive on each machine or over the network or other external location?

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis24 View Post
    Are you running the session off a local hard drive on each machine or over the network or other external location?
    Hi, i am running it on my local hard drive...
    And I have tried on different PCs, but still the time is about 26~28ms. Btw, the refresh rate i used is 75Hz.
    Thank you.

To be sure, it can be tricky to get a image to reliably display for a single screen refresh. First check out:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=55

and then if that doesn't help:

http://www.empirisoft.com/directrt/h...leshooting.htm

Definitely Make sure your video system has an up-to-date driver. Make sure you are using the correct driver for your monitor and not a generic driver. And then here are some other thoughts and tips:

The most conservative test is running the input file from a simpler folder on the local hard drive (e.g., c:\test) with the network cable unplugged and no other programs or processes running in the background (one quick indicator of the latter is not seeing any icons in the bottom right corner of the Windows Taskbar--or least as few as possible).

If you continue to get display times that are equal to double your refresh rate then try running the session in 800x600 resolution (as set in the Options of you .drt style file). Also check to make sure the stimulus in question is not the very first stimulus of the trial--that can cause trouble on some systems (in which case a brief blank screen can be used as an initial stimulus).

If you have checked all this (including the links above) and still can't get display times equal to a single refresh, send a zipped copy of your experiment folder to us at support@emp...com and we'll take a look at it.

Same problem with single refresh exposure

I need to use a subliminal exposure time but can't get anything below 2 refreshes (33 ms at 800X600, 60Hz). I've been using a modified version of the new input file template ("untitled.csv"). I simply added a fixation point ("*") for 250ms followed by a "subliminal" word prime ("prime") for 15ms followed by the default "cat" and "dog" (rt:any). The log file shows a 33ms exposure time rather than the 15-17ms time I need. I've set the default style to 800x600. I've checked that my systems have a recent version of DirectX installed (9.0). I've tried specifying 15ms, 16ms, and 17ms. DirectRT clocks my refresh rate at 16.96ms or 58.96Hz. I have DirectRT version 2008.1.0.11.

I've attached the following:

DxDiag.txt
    untitled.csv (the input file)
    1_log.csv (the log file)

Please let me know what else I can try.
    Thanks,
    Norman
    Attached Files Attached Files

What a dream post, Norman--all the info I could possible want and you have checked out all the relevant posts--nice

Unfortunately, I don't see a convenient answer for you. Your files are in perfect order and we ought to be seeing 16 or 17ms on the "prime" trials in your log data files (and of course, we are obviously not).

A few thoughts though..

1. Try specifying 10ms, just in case there is some doubt in DirectRT's mind that your system can handle 15-17ms. This might show it that you are very serious about the single refresh.

2. I noticed a couple red flags in your dxdiag.txt file:

Card name (Chip Type): Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Graphics chips built into the motherboard are a frequent cause of a system's inability to handle demanding display requests. I presume this is a laptop? If so, maybe you could look into seeing if there is a way to upgrade your graphics system either internally or externally (usb2 graphics card?).

I also noticed your monitor is not explicitly defined--you might find it helpful to specify it in the Windows display properties.

Finally, I noticed that it said that the DirectX display tests were canceled before completion--was there a reason for that?