Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Plain, black screen

Plain, black screen

I am working on a research project in psychology and am using DirectRT for the first time. I read through the Direct RT online instruction guide and looked at many of the basic samples. All of the samples seemed to run just fine in Direct RT (version 2006) and all the data also recorded correctly.

I then created my own input file in Microsoft Excel for the test I want to run. When I go to run the file in Direct RT, it doesn't run. The first couple of times an error showed up saying that row 2 in the input file has a style code of 0 which doesn't exist in the style guide. I looked back at the input file and row 2 definitely has a style code of 2, which does exist in the style guide. Now I don't get that error anymore. The file runs now, but a plain black screen shows up. None of the stimuli show. Also, no data is recorded for the test. I just tried running the samples again, and I found out that they don't run correctly anymore either. I don't get what's wrong! It's not like I changed any of the codes in the sample files or anything.

Can you post a copy of the input file you are trying to run?

Actually, I found out what the problem was. Thanks for the reply anyways. What I needed to do was open my input file in Notepad. When I did this and compared my file to a sample file, I noticed that there were extra quotation marks around some of the codes. I wasn't able to see this in Excel. Once I deleted the extra quotation marks, the file ran perfectly!

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the update!