Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: RT data for timed trial in log output

RT data for timed trial in log output

Hi,
    I am looking at the log for a divided attention study phase, where there was a finger-tapping tone task while a picture was on the screen. As I wanted the timing to be fixed, I set a fixed time for each tone to be presented, even though I wanted to examine the response data (correct/ incorrect and time of response), as I thought that ot would be recorded.
    Yet when looking at the output log file, I do not see any response recorded. Is there anyway of examining whether the participant pressed and keys during the timed stimulus and if so when?
    If not, how do I arrange this? I cannot change the delay options for feedback, as it is used during the practice.
    Please help.
    Thanks.

To get the response data you do need to indicate an RT in the time column for each tone. To get the fixed duration between each tone, you can use a minmax value for the trial that indicates the length of the fixed time. e.g., for a 2000ms interval, use a minmax value of 0-2000!

To ensure that the full 2000 ms are used, add the keyword "full" to your RT request like this:

RT:57,full

The result of all this is that DirectRT will continue automatically to the next tone after 2000ms and will not continue until that time occurs--even if the RT comes in before that.

Collecting RT with fixed presentation with no feedback

Hi Jarvis24,
    The response was relevant but did not address the needs of my particular study.
    In my study, I am first running a practice phase where I need the "please respond faster" feedback for the slow responses.
    Yet during the study phase of the experiment, I do not want the feedback to appear even if there is no response. In case of no response after the time limit it should continue onward.
    Using the "RT:57,full" with the style set at 0-2000! or 0-2000 provides the feedback "please respond faster feedback" when the participant is too slow, either after the alotted amount of time, or after a response that exceeds that time. I canot have that presented during the study phase.
    I also tried using "RT:57,1000" but that is not working either, as it awaits a response and ignores the 1000 as a time response.
    Please help.
    Thanks.

If you use a delay value of 0 for the feedback messages (in Options in the style file), then they will not appear. It applies to the whole session though so the practice trials (with feedback) would require a seperate input file and style file.

not that helpful- can it be addressed in the future build

So basically, you are saying that I have to create two different files AND change the options in the styles to run the program I want.
    Not a good solution, but the best one I have right now.
    Is it possible that this issue be addressed in the next version or build?
    Somehow dovetailing the feedback to the individual styles and not the general directrt options would be much more useful, and simplify things for the experiment.
    Last edited by smacats; 10-31-2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: I was interupted while writing in and it got sent prior to my finishing or editting it.

I agree. In fact I think many of the items under "options" (and elsewhere) should be tied to particular styles if the user so desires. We are definitely going to try to work this out for a future release. Also a note regarding convenience. If you have MediaLab, it makes it way easier to administer multiple DirectRT input files. You can have multiple input files and you can randomize them (if you like), have practice sessions, and so forth without any intervention from the experimenter. Just a thought in case that helps.

See also: www.empirisoft.com/medialab/help/queitemtype.htm#directrt